Sunday, December 23, 2012

For the Gambia, Our Homeland

For winter vacation, I have traveled to the Gambia, in Western Africa. I consider it my hhomeland because my family is from here, and I lived in the Gambia for 5 years. I also attended high school there, at Marina International School. I am very excited to be back, as I haven't been back since I started college. I will of course be taking lots of pictures of my trip, and I'll be sharing them here.

The trip here was basically a 2 day trip, going from DC, to Charlotte North Carolina, to London, to the Gambia. I didn't really get to do any sightseeing in London, but I wasnt too sad because the weather was awful. The best thing about London was their money exchange, which actually dealt in dalasi, unlike most countries, and their store Boots. The meal deal for 3.79 pounds saved my life n the flight to Africa, and it was delicious.



We finally got to Gambia after a 7 hour flight on Gambia Bird Airlines, with a stop-over in Freetown. We arrived at 7pm, which isn't too bad of an hour, but it means that I couldnt see much of the scenery.

Our Gambia Bird airplane after arrival in the Gambia

I've mostly been relaxing on this trip, as it is my vacation, but I'll still try and post pictures when I have time. There is so much I want to see and do while I'm here and still have time. I have already filled my food quota, having eaten all the things I wanted, including benachin, chicken afra, domoda, and butterfish and chips, all within the first week.

So here are some of the pictures I've taken so far, not in any particular order. Enjoy!

Men gathered underneath a shady tree
 
 
Truck delivering crates of soda

Traditional Yellow and Green Gambian Taxis


Souvenir and Tourist Market at Cape Point

No comments:

Post a Comment