Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Discovering Richmond Part 2

   For the second part of my Discovering Richmond series, I'm taking you to the other side of town. Shockoe Bottom is one of the oldest parts of Richmond, having been the center and starting point for slaves in the South. Slave markets, jails, and auction houses were all here once upon a time. There is so much history here that I could spend this entire blog on just that subject, so to save time, I'll just send you here instead.
 
   As an African American living in this particular District, I sometimes don't know how to feel, walking the same cobblestones as my people did hundreds of years ago. I know I said in my very first blog post that I would try to maintain objectivity as much as possible, so maybe I should leave emotions out of it. In any case, here are my photos, documenting my walk down Cary St. in Shockoe Bottom.

One of the many former tobacco houses on Cary St. that were converted into residential apartments. This particular one also contains a pool with a waterfall, an upscale Italian restaurant, and a gym.

All the other River Lofts on Tobacco Row and the Holocaust museum much farther down.
We'll see pictures of that later on. 




Nicest set of mushrooms I've ever seen, have nothing to do with architecture, but from a photography perspective, too perfect to pass up. 

I was fascinated by the brick detail on this building. 

The CSX train that I can hear screeching by at this very moment in time. Weird coincidence.

This particular train was only 2 cars long.

Virginia Holocaust Museum. I've never been inside personally, but I hear its a one of a kind experience.


The unopened (and to my knowledge, never opened) windows of the Virginia Holocaust Museum

One of the train cars I'm assuming they used to carry Jews in. 

The Richmond VA flood wall. Funny story about this wall, when the flood finally came, the city sewers backed up so the water was trapped on the wrong side. 

Believe it or not, these rocks were completely untouced, I was just lucky enough to find them this way. 


Those little spots of greenery that brighten up my day. 

One of the more interesting street facades I've seen. I don't think this building would be half as interesting if the windows were all the same. Its worth looking into for future projects. 

If anyone knows the purpose or practice of this "technique" please let me know in the comments.
The ceiling at Urban Farmhouse, one of the main, organic/green/fair  trade restaurants in Richmond .
Urban Farmhouse interior. It reminds me a great deal of Busboys & Poets in DC, with their couches and laid-back feel.  The setup is also similar to Globe Hopper, located a couple blocks down, on Main Street. 

Urban Farmhouse wine selection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment